Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Brokeback Gorge is full of wood...

This may or may not mean exactly what you think it does.
Really big wood...
Brokeback Gorge is a section of river I am proud to call a backyard classic. After several days of scouting over the course of nearly a year, I got on this committing classic with Taylor Krammen shortly after Moosefest 2010 for what we believe to be the First Descent.
When I say committing, I mean this is the lip of a 30 footer...
The moves aren't all that difficult, but there's a bit of added intensity. Most of the time the walls are just under vertical, and the rock isn't quite as strongly bonded as it may once have been. 
Unless you scout it when it's dry or scramble down some sketchy slopes,
this is the best view of the big one you're gonna get.
Ok, so you probably got the picture as far as the commitment is concerned. The main point here is that there's a bunch of wood jammed in there, and the real problem is that I'm not positive on exactly where it is. I hiked it about 3 months ago and saw 4 logs in places that were portageable, but we've had some high water since then, and they very well could have flushed into the crux.
That would be this...
Today, I headed in with my dad to free this sucker up, but recent snows have the walls coated fairly well, and there was much more water than I expected down there. This is especially bittersweet. It's very inconvenient that I can't get in there to remove the wood, and I probably won't be able to until after Spring Moosefest. Snow, water levels, and temperatures just won't allow it. On the other hand, if there was that much water in there with what little snowmelt we've had, it would appear that this stretch takes less water than the Independence to pop into a runnable range. 

I've got a super clean 30 footer, and instant classic creek in my back yard that runs multiple weeks per year. If I can just get it to stay wood-free, I think we'll have something pretty cool on our hands.
Something pretty cool indeed...
Bottom Line: Don't go in there (unless you plan on cutting the wood out) and let me know if you have any tips on keeping this clean in the future!

0 comments:

Support title

Support from:
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and photographer, collector of experiences, adventure lover, and outdoor goer.

Followers